Thursday 7 June 2012

Reflecting on lessons learned in May


Write a reflection inspired by May 2012, be as creative or as formal as you wish.

This too will pass.

      Precociously curious as a child, I read and read about the world around me. Lay philosophers were everywhere with free insights and free advice. Masters filled libraries. Heraclitis said “you don’t step into the same stream twice”, but  truisms are oddly comforting, sometimes.

       May has  been an expensive month. In  truth, January, February, March and April were worse. An obstinately plugged drain, took hours of plunging,  2 trips to rent larger and more powerful  augers and 2 trips from a plumber with a 350 pound  super rooter,  finally blasted through an inch  layer of what appeared to be a  bar of  soap. Yes, the pioneers did use fat to make soap with lye and what is Drano?  Lye ! For years tenants poured oils and fats down the drain and with a chaser of Draino.  My pipes  were making solid, hard soap. I saw it with my own eyes! No matter how often I suggest paper towels or parchment paper and pouring the grease into the green bin, some tenants are slow learners or maybe just saboteurs. Plumbers hate products like Draino, because they are so corrosive and will sit there in the water making it dangerous  to work on your blocked pipes.

      Frans  asked me if I knew anyone who would do a website for him. I thought , there is something I always wanted to try so I took a few digital Pix with my new cell phone, I  bought   6 weeks earlier  because I did not have a digital camera, nor cell phone.  Even when you are giving things away for free, on Kijiji, people still want to know what it looks like, before they drive over to check it out. I downloaded a trial template from ebizwebsites, downloaded pictures of plumbing, uploaded his pix, and after  about 10 hours, Voila! FranVoogtPlumbing.com

     The same tenant then informed me, two of his burners got warm but not hot enough to boil water. The stove is at least 10 years old, with solid elements and I could not get them to budge. Back to Kijiji for a stove.        

      Next my air conditioner would not come on in the heat wave. The A/C  is a Preston, 30 years old and no longer manufactured.  My A/C  guy arrives and finds electrocuted mice have nibbled through wires  and informs me that new units are much more efficient and he does not know if he can get parts for mine. $2500 for a brand new A/C plus labour plus taxes and they can arrange financing! Yahoo. I tell him to try and fix it and I will put a new A/C  on my wish list after my broken teeth,  water  softener and car repairs. I carry around booster cables because my starter is intermittent, but I favour parking on an incline, so I can pop the clutch.

     I am in the house, next to the main panel  and he yells to me to turn the breaker back on. I can hear him through the wall. “Your  A/C  is working”  he says excitedly after replacing a box with something he luckily had in his truck. But I hear grinding from the panel and smoke is definitely coming from the breaker, not a good sign. He inspects this problem and exclaims, “You need an electrician” and gives me  one of his buddy’s card. I thank him but I know my guy will work for $30 an hour cash.

    My electrician can come on Saturday and reminds me to  pick up a 15 amp 2 pole Commander/Sylvanna/CEO. Because of his previous visits, I know they don’t make these breakers anymore.   Electric supply  companies  keep used parts  in a back room somewhere. After unsuccessful trips to Gerrie’s,   Little’s and  Ray’s  in Cambridge I was told to try Pope’s  in Kitchener. $60 for a used 2 pole was too much. If I was a true entrepreneur I would take these used breakers to China and bring home a  thousand and sell them on eBay  for all those homeowners with houses like mine that are 30 + years old. But on a more practical path, when I can afford it, I will replace one of my subpanels  and salvage the breakers.

     Adam  accompanied by his 11 year old daughter, found another nest of mice complete with nursing babies. Carefully he gathered up the insulation she nested in and placed it under the unit. His daughter carried one around while he did more repairs on the A/C. He explained his dad was an A/C+Heating contractor and Adam had just  replaced contacts and capacitor, and as well,   boosted  his compressor  2 weeks earlier,  and his unit was only 7 years old. He like so many repairmen have told me, yes, newer is more efficient but wears out faster. $40 later and my breaker no longer smoked. Yahoo!

     A few months ago, my tenants’ shower diverter was stuck and then ripped. Again with a 30year old plumbing fixture, I was told that I would have to rip the tiled wall down to install new shower guts. I went down to One Stop Plumbing in Kitchener and they let me look through their old catalogue until I recognized the distinctive handles and could  get the correct numerical description of this part no longer  stocked by American Stardard in Canada or the USA. I googled the part and after phoning at least a dozen American Plumbing Supply companies, I would always end with a plea, could they think of any other supply company I could pester? Please. Finally a guy, who had been in parts for 42 years, Harlan in South Carolina told me that American Standard had subcontracted a German Company to make these and he would call me back after he checked his stock. Harlan saved the day with a $26 part that arrived in 2 days. I now know why companies promise their products for life.

     Reflecting back on this past May I realize that book learning is okay for kids, but there is a real world out there with more experienced minds, that can teach us plenty of life lessons, if you are open to learning. If you think education is expensive, then try ignorance.




No comments:

Post a Comment